Wednesday 10 October 2012

The city is big but God is bigger.

   Recently I have been filled with excitement thinking of possible ideas for the future and a goal which will require me to save a while lot of money for... I am determined to do it though, and for once in my life I feel so positive and hopeful of an endeavour that I am happy to go over obstacles and to endure the work it will take to achieve. 
   This book (for which this blog was started) is close to my heart, of course, and I am working on it - don't worry. But this is a much clear-cut plan, I feel a rush of independence, freedom and adventure when I ponder on this adventure. 
   What made me laugh at myself was my eagerness to earn said money needed for what I want. My eagerness and happiness to work hard to get it. And I was surprised in feeling this confidence for the fist time ever. What I want is so wonderful to me I will go above and beyond to get it. 
   When there is a goal on the horizon, the work to get there can often seem less daunting than a task with no clear outcome, and more like a brilliant challenge to reach the summit. I am excited to work for this thing I want and know I will love. This got me thinking about our endeavours in life generally. This position is echoed in all sorts of situations - those of love, exotic expeditions, or personal missions. 
   What about the work God has for us as his children? Do we get so excited about that? Do we understand what He has for us to do? Perhaps you do and you can count yourself blessed above so many with clear vision and sound mind, and I pray He continues to bless you in these ways. If you arent so sure - what are you doing to find out? Reading His word is a good way. Talking to others about your talents and opportunities you could take advantage of is good too. Praying about it is useful too, sometimes no answer is an answer. Sometimes we have to jump in and see what comes of it.
   Too often I have thought 'I'm too young', 'I don't have the money', 'I don't have the room' to do this, that or the other that I would like to do to serve Him. But I wonder now - are these just excuses? They certainly are if I use them to reason why I do nothing to serve Him. 
   I am not alien to the struggles which surround my generation, or the ones of those who have come before me - regardless of my age, I have eyes and a fair understanding of how this world works. But I refuse to believe that any of these limitations are anything but opportunities to be creative in our ministry. (Practically: If you work on the weekends, be active during the week. If you struggle with funding, change the way you're planning your project, raise more funds, as for home grown volunteering or try something else simpler.) With this picture > I am not suggesting we all graffiti our streets with scripture, but it is an interesting way of making people think. If you have limited resources, transport or support - ask someone for help. Don't be afraid to ask of others what you would readily give if you could.
   It is often in times of oppression that people are forced to be creative, to achieve their original goal through alternate means - and the result will a breath of fresh air.
   But don't ever fall useless, or disheartened, or weary because you feel unqualified.
'God doesn't call the qualified, he qualifies the called.'*


"For by grace you have been saves through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God." - Ephesians 2:8  

This verse is so wonderful, because it explains our salvation, how God doesn't work on a 'point system' by which you get 8 points for being a preacher and 9 for a missionary - no. It is NOT by our own doing good that we are saved... But this does NOT mean that there is no reason to do good. 
   I have often thought of this verse and reasoned that it's OK I don't go to every Church service through the week, and it's OK I didn't make something for pot luck, and it's OK I 'messed up a bit' the other day. But it's not. Those who have thought similar have probably also, like me, tried to steer clear of verses like:


"If you love me, you will keep my commandments." John 14:15

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galations 6:9

But there is no excuse for not doing good when you know you can
   The goal we have to look forward to is heaven. Eternal salvation. If you can't get out of bed for that, then I guess there literally is no hope for you.

   'There is no question whether God's Will will be done. The question is, will you be the one to do it?'*



*(So said a guy from Harding University in chapel the other week - inspiring stuff.)

No comments:

Post a Comment