Saturday 11 August 2012

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Life is ever changing, ever challenging; but God is my constant, my consultant and always my comforter.

   Psalm 102:27 "But you are the same, and your years have no end."
I once had a long talk with someone who said they could not believe in a God who did not change his law to accommodate for today's society. I told them plainly that I could not believe in a God who did. People haven't changed, I am convinced of this. The struggles of man have not changed because the human heart has not changed, it is merely the circumstances within which these sins take place that has. If God changed his law it would not be fair to those who first followed, there would be no real standard to live up to. I digress from the point - God is everlasting, God is constant, because we need him to be.

   'Things' don't get easier. I believe this; I believe that we just become better at dealing with them. As much as I would like to be in a comfortable position in relation to my relationships, studies, work, dreams, I am not. But, as always, I find myself learning to thank God for all that has been, is and will be, and to evaluate myself and the roles I play in my life.

   A passage (that was a memory verse at Camp Tayside this year) reminds me of the place of serenity, joy and peace that I hope to achieve within my life.

"12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength."
            Philippians 4:12-13

This next bit is on a poster in the office of the house I'm living in and it speaks volumes compared to what I could say on here, on the realities of life lessons.

The World is our Classroom
I’ve learned that most of the things I worry about never happened. -age 64
I’ve learned that every great achievement was once considered impossible. -age 47
I’ve learned that you can’t hide a broccoli in a glass of milk. -age 7
I’ve learned that if there were no problems, there would be no opportunities. -age 19
I’ve learned that it doesn’t cost anything to be nice. -age 66
I’ve learned that the important thing is me. -age 38
I’ve learned that even the simplest task can be meaningful if I do it in the right spirit. -age 72
I’ve learned that in every face-to-face encounter, regardless of how brief, we leave something behind. -age 45
I’ve learned that whenever I decide something with kindness, I usually make the right decision. -age 66
I’ve learned that if you spread the peas out on your plate, it looks as if you ate more. -age 6
I’ve learned that regardless of colour or age, we all need about the same amount of love. -age 37
I’ve learned that education, experience, and memories are three things that no one can take away from you. -age 67
I’ve learned that motel mattresses are better on the side away from the phone. -age 50
I’ve learned that the simple things are often the most satisfying. -age 63
I’ve learned that if you want to cheer yourself up, you should try cheering up someone else. -age 13
I’ve learned that successful living is like playing the violin – it must be practices daily. -age 70
I’ve learned that I’ve learned that if you laugh and drink soda pop at the same time, it will come out of your nose. -age 7
I’ve learned that a sunroof is worth the extra cost. -age 29
I’ve learned that optimists live longer than pessimists. That’s why I’m an optimist. -age 84
I’ve learned that happiness is like perfume; you can’t give it away without getting a little on yourself. -age 59
I’ve learned that when someone hurts your feelings, it’s unimportant unless you persist in remembering it. -age 68
I’ve learned that that there’s no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs. -age 48
I’ve learned that if you smile at people, they will almost always smile back. -age 81
I’ve learned that homemade Toll House cookies should be eaten while still warm. -age 29
I’ve learned that we grow only when we push ourselves beyond what we already know. -age 53
I’ve learned never to underestimate the potential and power of the human spirit. -age 82
I’ve learned that everyone has something to teach. -age 51

No comments:

Post a Comment