Friday 27 July 2012

I Am.

I stumbled across this poem last night that I had saved on my computer. I had it written in a 'Stickie' note (Mac users will understand) and it was open so that when I clicked on the program, it came up on my screen. Useful stuff. I read it for the first time in a long time and it made me think, as so often interesting things do. It is a wonderful reminder not to dwell on past mistakes, not to worry about uncertain plans and to just trust Him here and now.

I am
I was regretting the past and fearing the future.
Suddenly, my Lord was speaking:
"My name is I am." He paused.
I waited. He continued,
"When you live in the past
with its mistakes and regrets,
it is hard. I am not there.
My name is not I was.
When you live in the future,
with all it’s problems and fears,
it’s hard. I am not there.
My name is not I will be.
When you live in this moment
it is not hard. I am here
my name is I am."
      - Helen Mallicoat

God is 'I Am', He says in Exodus 3:14 "I am who I Am." he also says "I am with you always, even to the end of the age" Matthew 28:20. God IS. And He is with us. The poem is also about recognising that He is and we are in the present. We cannot change the past and we cannot control the future, but He is ultimately with us through everything. I searched for similar poems titled 'I am' and found one I particularly liked which I changed to suit me specifically. I think sometimes it is good to realise who we are and what we mean to others. It can be too easy to doubt yourself and question your worth or purpose in the world. Looking at how far you've already come can be an encouragement to make you see that you have so much to be thankful for, and that you are already surrounded by people to support you.
   Whoever you are, you are loved. Whatever bad you've done, you can be forgiven. Wherever you're going, there will be support for you. That is all.

   'Wherever you will go' by The Calling - Listen to it.

I am a daughter, a sister, a granddaughter, a niece, a cousin, a friend. I am a student, a young girl and a grown woman. I am confident and scared, terrified an excited. I am loving and caring, and thoughtful and hopeful. I am sick and tired. I am shy and friendly, and careful and careless. I am broken and whole. I am hard working and determined but a little scared on the inside. I wish on the stars and dream my dreams. I pray to God and cry my tears. I smile on the outside, while I’m dying inside. I listen to others who won’t listen to me. I walk on eggshells, and I walk amidst the fire. I believe in true love and undying passion. I believe in something better than myself. I believe in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment