Saturday 5 May 2012

Starting Point...

My name is Rachelle, I am 20 years old. I currently live in Dundee (UK), and am finishing my Second year at University studying English and Film. I am a Christian, have a wonderful family, and just over 7 months ago, I lost my Mother.


Mum was diagnosed with Secondary Pulmonary Hypertension when I was 16, she also had Mixed Connective Tissue Disease which weakened her immune system, causing other problems along side the main issue of PH. It took a long time for her to be properly diagnosed, as those who have dealt with illness can imagine, and discovering such a rare and chronic condition to be the underlying cause of her problems was a shot in the gut. 


The next few years were a mixture of normality and the absurd with life seemingly going on as normal - school, exams, graduations, moves to University - but underneath it all was Mum's growing struggle with every day life and the relentless realisation that this could be it.


At the beginning of Summer 2011 I started writing a diary about life with Mum - conversations with my family and friends about the future, personal thoughts about current situations and some creative writings in reflection of it all. I plan to write a book about all of this. A real story, using my diary as a basis. I have also kept trinkets and have pictures which I will photograph and include as a sort of scrap book to go along with the events, as well as statements or testimonies from friends who have experienced similar things. My Mother was an amazing woman, a wonderful example and strength to her children and a dedicated wife to my Dad. In one way or another, especially for Dad, she was the love of our lives. 


I'm not entirely sure what I wish to achieve with this blog, or this book, except to help others (and myself), in coming to terms with losing a loved one and living life after the fact. 




"What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal."
                                                                                        - Albert Pine

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea Rachelle! I wish you the very best with your projects and pray that this year will be a blessing and a help to you and to the rest of the family. Your Mum would be so proud of you. What a great way to honour her. Can't wait to read the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful idea Shelly, can't wait to see how you'll fill this blog with memories and creativity. :)

    ReplyDelete